Wednesday 30 November 2011

Banana, Date & Pecan Muffins


Grinding the oats and pecans into a flour came from a recipe for banana muffins on VganJar. Just pulse the pecans and oats together in the food processor a couple of times until you have a coarse meal, being careful not to overdo it because you'll end up with a paste. This recipe is based on Isobelle's at VganJar.

Ingredients
1/2 cup pecans, ground into a flour
1/2 cup oats, ground into a flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
3/4 cup soy milk
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup 
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
really ripe bananas
5 dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped

Add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk, and leave aside to thicken.

In a large bowl mix together the flours, the baking powder and soda, and the salt.

In another bowl, mash the bananas really well with the maple syrup, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.

Add the soy milk to the flours, mix well, and then add the banana mix. When it is all incorporated, mix through the dates and the pecans. 

Spoon into a muffin tin. For 12 regular sized muffins, bake for about 20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean), and for 6 jumbo muffins bake for around 30 minutes.

They're really good straight from the oven, or warmed, with a dairy free butter, and I could imagine they'd keep pretty well too (mine were all eaten within a day!).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tash!

    I don't mind you using my recipe as a base at all :) I'm actually really happy that you did! It's a huge compliment.
    I'm glad that you commented too, I think that your blog is just lovely. Your photographs are beautiful! It's nice to see someone else who appreciates the magic of film.

    I hope your exams went well :)

    - Isobelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isobelle! I love your photos and cooking too. Hopefully now my exams are over I will have a bit of time to try a few more of your recipes. I will be sure to let you know how they go!

    ReplyDelete